Saturday, December 26, 2009

Squirrel Question: tail with no fur?

Hi, I am really concerned about some of the squirrels in my front yard. About 5 months ago, I noticed a squirrel with no hair on his tail.. He almost looked like a rat. He was definately a squirrel though. More and more have cropped up over the months. Some have different degrees of hair loss on the tail - but always the tail. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? They are New Jersey squirrels (I guess the Grey Squirrel?) I'm afraid that if it's mange, my dog may catch it? or worse yet, maybe there is something growing out there that isn't good for animals? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks! JoyceSquirrel Question: tail with no fur?
It's probably mange or lice, both common to see on Mr Squirrel in the spring. It will spread if they come into contact with your dog. It's a mange mite, not the genetic kind. If your dog does come into contact and gets it, the vet will use an Ivomec based treatment to kill off the mange mites.Squirrel Question: tail with no fur?
The only way to find out for sure is to have one of your town's veterinarians look at them. Perhaps they will have the Department of Environmental Protection take a look too.
I have seen this in MI also. I have seen them with very thin tail hair, or missing lots of tail hair. But I have never seen the tails completly hairless. I think it is some type of mange or skin condition. I don't know what causes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment